This September, Stephen and I will celebrate eight years together. That’s crazy! It feels like just yesterday that we walked across MTSU’s campus to go to Applebees. (Obviously we were poor college freshmen.) I went back to my dorm room after the date and told my roommate that I had met the man I was going to marry. She rolled her eyes at me, but I was right.
I look back on the last eight years and look at how God has worked in our relationship. I truly believe that God brought us together for a reason back in 2008. Stephen is my best friend and favorite person, and I’m so incredibly blessed to be married to him.
I wrote this post on our one-year anniversary, but it still rings true today.
10. He has a servant’s heart. I am so blessed to be married to someone with a servant’s spirit. He is so quick to help out where needed, sacrifice his time for others, and help me around the house. Here’s an example: I hate doing the dishes. They gross me out. I love cooking, but hate the clean-up. Stephen always jumps at the opportunity to do them for me.
9. He’s quick to say “I’m sorry.” I’m not going to lie and say we don’t fight and argue. We do. Every couple does. If they tell you they don’t, they’re probably lying to you. Stephen, however, never hesitates to say he’s sorry. In fact, he’s usually the first to do so (something I need to work on).
8. He loves kids. I think one of the most attractive qualities in a man is seeing how he interacts with children. Stephen worked for the Extended School Program for almost 5 years. He loved his job. He genuinely loves the kids who are in his life and cares about their well-being. It breaks his heart when kids aren’t being cared for the way they should. He’s going to be a great father one day.
7. He makes me laugh. There is absolutely nobody else who makes me laugh like Stephen does. His jokes really aren’t that funny, either (sorry babe). His personality, ability to laugh at himself, and his own laugh makes me laugh until I’m crying.
6. He is a hard worker. Lazy is not a word I would ever use to describe him. He is constantly working on something—whether it be his actual job, planning a worship service, preparing a Bible study/lesson, or just helping out around the house.
5. He is humble. Stephen is one of the most humble people I’ve ever met. You could tell him how incredible he is for hours, and he would downplay all of it. He never points to himself to receive glory and accolades—he is always focused on how what he does gives God glory.
4. He’s just downright attractive. If I wasn’t attracted to him, we’d have problems. I hope our future kids have blonde hair and his smile. (Hear that, God? Blonde hair. Thanks!)
3. He is an amazing encourager. I beat myself up a lot—not physically, of course, but I tell myself really negative things and I often feel like a failure. Stephen refuses to let me feel that way. He constantly encourages me, pushes me to keep chasing my dreams, and comforts me. He never lets me give up.
2. He is my biggest cheerleader. Just like he encourages me to pursue my dreams, he cheers for me every time I achieve them. He reads every article I write, tastes every recipe I have to create for work, and is the first to see the magazine after it’s printed. I know he is willing to listen when work is getting to me, he gets excited with me when something good happens, and he is always eager to look at recently completed projects. I’m blessed to be married to someone so invested in my career.
1. He loves the Lord and provides spiritual leadership. I count myself lucky and blessed to be married to someone with such a deep love for the Lord. He has a relationship with God, is invested in his quiet time, and seeks to serve Him every day. He leads me spiritually and provides wisdom and discernment. When I struggle, he prays with me and for me. He studies the Bible with me. He loves the Lord so much more than he loves me, and that means so much to me. Our relationship is nowhere near perfect, but he strives to love me selflessly and sacrificially. I am incredibly blessed because of that.